- options over literary works;
- purchase of rights: writers’ agreements;
- life story rights agreements;
- development funding including individual and slate development deals;
- first look arrangements; and
- overhead deals.
We are a one-stop shop for all things film. Our expertise, commercial nous and technical skill span every stage of the process from the development, financing and production of theatrical feature films through to worldwide exploitation on multiple platforms.
We’re not just lawyers, we’re matchmakers too. We represent a wide variety of award-winning producers and some of the industry’s best-known financiers, distributors, sales agents and UK government bodies. It’s a network that allows us to harvest opportunities and broker and structure deals that others might miss.
In fact our film finance team has represented most of the major UK based banks and post house financiers active in this sector, as well as other leading lending institutions and private equity firms.
What’s more, our extensive international contacts mean we can connect those looking to attract finance to suitable financiers, as well as structure an array of complex finance arrangements for our clients. This includes our vast expertise in assembling and lending against international co-productions, and navigating the complex conditions imposed by different countries.
We are also the go-to team for industry corporate media deals and we support our clients through everything from setting up production companies to mergers, acquisitions and MBOs. And when it comes to pre- and post-production libel and clearance advice or any unexpected challenges that may arise during the film making process, our litigation team is second to none.
Our expertise extends far beyond strict legal advice. This is something that’s valued by everyone we work with. It’s why we’ve such long standing relationships with so many of our clients and one of the reasons that so many of our lawyers have Executive Producer credits on client productions.
Our specialist areas include negotiating and documenting the following aspects:
- international co-productions;
- multiple party financings;
- equity investments;
- bank and/or senior lender financings;
- regional and national funding;
- security arrangements;
- tax efficient structures; and
The whole range of production agreements, including:
- director, cast, crew and producer deals;
- location and studio agreements;
- music composing and licences;
- footage clearance;
- post-production services and facilities, including special effects and delivery arrangements.
- sales agency arrangements;
- UK and international distribution deals;
- sales and acquisitions; broadcaster arrangements;
- emerging media and ancillary rights,
- format and sequel/prequel/spin off arrangements.
+44 (0)20 3073 7669