- Development and publishing agreements
- Distribution agreements
- Content and Game licensing clearance and transactions
- Game Merchandising
- Game Partnerships and Co-Marketing agreements
- Game Music licensing and commissioning
- Sub-Contractor and Outsourcing contracts
- Sponsorship, Endorsement and Voiceover (including talent) contracts
- Platform licensing – console, PC and mobile platform arrangements
- Advising upon applications for the UK’s video games tax relief
- Project financing and tax credit financing arrangements, including crowdfunding, SEIS and EIS investment.
As the videogames sector continues to expand and evolve, having proactive experts who are at the forefront of the latest developments and who know the industry inside out is crucial. Lee & Thompson has several leading lawyers in the videogames space. We are recognized as the go-to firm by UK and international game developers, publishers and creative individuals. We are known for our high-quality legal advice as well as our commercial awareness and ability to identify and interpret market trends quickly and effectively.
Many of our lawyers have previously worked as lead counsel for global entertainment and video game companies. Our in-depth knowledge of the industry means we’re well placed to advise businesses of all types and sizes, from start-ups to global publishers, small and large development studios, videogame financiers, digital platforms, middleware providers, localisation companies, individuals and trade bodies. Our interactive entertainment lawyers have a deserved reputation as the best in the game. They’re smart and thought leaders within the sector.
Our videogames clients see the depth of our expertise and experience across the media and entertainment space including TV, film and music as a really significant advantage. As the entertainment sectors continue to converge and disrupt, we are able to offer commercial solutions and support across media projects, helping to bridge the void between games, TV, film, music and other entertainment businesses.
We advise upon all aspects of the videogames sector, across platforms and genres, from development and publishing, global distribution, IP compliance, enforcements and brand strategies, through to VR, AR and eSports gaming, content licensing, data protection and privacy and the financing of game projects.
Our specialist areas include:
Transactional and financing
Regulation and compliance
- Game content compliance and clearance
- Data protection, privacy and security including preparations for the EU General Data Protection Regulations
- Consumer compliance (including children’s compliance)
- Competition, skill based gaming and social gaming
- The regulation of digital content and virtual currency
- Classification/rating, censorship, advertising and other regulatory matters.
Intellectual property protection and exploitation
- Trade mark registration and enforcement
- Design right matters (Registered and Unregistered)
- Copyright issues, including advising on infringement and licensing
- The protection of inventions as Patents in the games sector
- Formulating brand protection strategy (including the protection and enforcement of copyright and other intellectual property rights.
- Corporate mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures
- Investments (including EIS and SEIS investment)
- Project finance
- Shareholder arrangements
- Corporate structuring.
Employment and disputes
- Impact of Brexit on securing talent
- Employment, consultancy and work-for-hire arrangements
- Contractual and other disputes.
+44(0)20 3073 7655